Thursday, March 12, 2009

Lesson Plan #1

The objective, in my opinion, of today's tutoring session is assessment of ability. I want to find out where my student is in terms of talent and technique and from there make further lesson plans. On this first day I plan to have my student draw a few quick exercises and I can make a basic assessment. We will draw a person, a background, and a still life-type composition. Once we figure out what needs work, we can work on perfecting the form. I also want to find out from him what he feels is his weak point, what he wants to work on. Today is the introduction and the overall assessment of what works for him and what doesn't. I plan on bringing a couple "how-to-draw" books and perhaps a comic with simplistic style art. I will try and stress the importance of constant practice and repetition to acheive perfection of form. I will also try to show my student how important it is to reference from photographs or other sources when drawing something difficult. I hope that I am able to connect with my student and I truly hope that I will be able to teach him at least something of value today that he can use when drawing even when I'm not around. I do not know anything about what he wants other than that he draws cartoons and hopefully we can work on improvement of his form. If I can acheive proper assessment today, next Thursday will be alot easier because I will have an idea of what he needs and what he wants to do. My criteria for assessment will be based upon three things, proportion, composition, and technique. I will find his weakest point and that is what we will work on for the next few lessons.

No comments: